Easy Chocolate Chinese Five Spice Cake
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. kosher salt
2 tsp. The Spice Hunter Chinese Five Spice Blend
⅔ cup finely chopped or grated bittersweet chocolate
¼ cup brewed coffee or espresso, chai tea, or apple cider vinegar (if you don’t have coffee on hand)
½ cup buttermilk
1 tsp. The Spice Hunter Vanilla Extract
1 large egg
1 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, The Spice Hunter Chinese Five Spice Blend and baking soda in a bowl.
3. In a small bowl, mix the coffee (or chai tea/apple cider vinegar) and diced chocolate.
4. Stir vigorously until the chocolate has fully melted – don’t leave any lumps of chocolate.
5. Add vanilla extract and buttermilk to mixture, and blend well.
6. Set mixture aside.
7. In a large bowl, beat the egg and sugar in a bowl until light and airy, about 3 minutes.
8. Add the chocolate mixture and mix well with a large spoon.
9. Add the flour mixture and stir until fully mixed with no lumps.
10. Pour mixture into two well prepared cake pans (I prefer to use cake spray for the easiest release – but you can also line the pan in parchment paper or use silicone cake pans).
11. Place cake pans in oven and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
12. Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
13. Remove cake pans from oven and let cool fully to room temperature.
14. Remove from cake pans when pans are cool to the touch, let sit on cooling rack at least another hour. Chocolate ganache will melt if cake is still warm.
1. Begin to make ganache by gathering a medium sized nonstick pan and large bowl.
2. Heat heavy cream to boiling.
3. Pour over chocolate chips and let sit for 4-5 minutes – do not stir.
4. Whisk the mixture until it thickens and becomes a rich, dark chocolate brown.
5. Pour a small amount of ganache over top of one layer of cake and top with other layer. Let set as ganache cools.
6. Let ganache cool to room temperature, so it is thick and can be spread instead of poured over cake.
7. Generously coat cake in ganache, running a flat spatula along the sides and top to make a smooth cake.
8. Top with chocolate sprinkles and Spice Hunter Cinnamon Sticks, and a very light dusting or five spice powder or cinnamon sugar.
9. Chill for 2 hours, up to two days before serving.
10. Cut into slices and serve.
Recipe via partner Sweet C's Designs